Soul & Surf is not a business designed to generate money. Honestly, there are a million easier ways to do that. It was started as an adventure, and a vehicle to give us access to the life that we wanted to live. We might not be changing the world, but if we can incrementally add a little bit of positivity, and inspire small but positive change then we’re happy with that.
Which might make it sound like we’re a bunch of clear-skinned, toned, Insta-perfect-muesli-knitting-hippy-vloggers. We’re not. We’re not very good at surfing, we don’t practice yoga enough, and we don’t get around to meditating as much as we should even though they all make us feel amazing.
Adventure or not though, the company grew from where it started to the point where Sofie & I didn’t always get to hang out with, and share our purpose and vision with, all of the teams in all of the locations. So we did some work to distil the reasons that it exists, and the why behind us getting up in the morning to go to work.
Essentially we captured in words everything that Soul & Surf is really about. And it looked a bit like a manifesto – so we tweaked it a bit until it was a manifesto.
We use it regularly now to check in on whether we are continuing to live this life and achieve this idea. And we figured it might be useful to some of you too.
Design by Ed Templeton & Rahsaan Kably.
Or if you’d prefer it in words…
Live your life in the moment.
- The past has gone, the future hasn’t happened.
- Don’t worry about it. All we have is now. And now feels good.
- If you don’t know how, you could start with…
Building your health, time & resources
- To surf, to practice yoga, to explore, to meditate, to think, to create, to travel, to be outdoors, to be in the ocean, to communicate, to meet, to eat, to breathe, to listen to music, to find beauty, to party. Go further.
Live and breathe ethical values.
- Tread lightly. Be bold. Bring positive change.
- To the people in your life. To your communities.
- Be bold. Bring positive change.
- To the world around you. But don’t beat yourself up about it. No-one gets it right all the time.
Reduce your impact on the planet.
- Little by little. Day by day.
- Add your voice, time, resources and energy to causes and organisations which tackle the climate crisis.
- Don’t get disheartened. Nobody said it was easy.
- Stick your neck out.
Share your ideas…
- Build a community. Join a community.
- Of friends, family, colleagues and strangers.
Be normal and down to earth.
- Don’t preach. Don’t be too worthy.
- Don’t need to be all eat-pray-love-ey.
- Don’t put people off.
Live your life in the moment.Back to Journal