Sustainable development is the organising principle for meeting human development goals whilst simultaneously sustaining the ability of natural systems to provide the natural resources and ecosystem services on which our economy and society depends. Sustainable development can be defined as development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
Our Sustainable-ish Development Strategy
We are using the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (also known as SDGs) to structure our plan for Soul & Surf to develop in a sustainable-ish way. We have chosen to champion and focus on four primary goals in areas which correlate with what we do and three secondary goals where we can indirectly affect or support other organisations already working in these areas through partnerships.
People + Planet + Profit = Sustainable Development.
Primary Sustainable Development Goals
Good Health & Wellbeing (SDG3)
Surfing, yoga, meditation, therapies, sunshine food.
- It’s what we do. To promote and deliver experiences that are rooted in goodness.
- Good for us. Good for our team.
- Good for our guests. Good for the planet.
Responsible Consumption & Production (SDG12)
Working towards zero waste and a circular economy.
- Through auditing & analysing our waste on each site where we operate.
- Creating waste reduction plans for each site, then educating and training teams.
- Create a waste reduction programme for our customers to follow.
Climate Action (SDG13)
Unravelling the paradox of sustainable travel.
- Becoming sustainable-ish by actively working towards reducing our carbon emissions.
- Signing up to the UN’s Climate Neutral Now pledge.
- Joining and committing to the Tourism Declares a Climate Emergency group.
- Encouraging sustainable travel and reducing impacts of tourism by supporting biodiversity projects.
See our Climate Action Plan.
Life Below Water (SDG14)
Ocean education and activism through the soul surfing lifestyle and experience.
- Continue to donate 1% of gross income to Surfers Against Sewage.
- Build-in ocean literacy to our team’s training and our guests' experience.
- Inform, support and show our team and our guests how to be ocean activists.
- Support Take 3 for the Sea and 30x30.
Want to read some of our Journal content on our continuing Sustainable-ish work? See the Read More for links...
Good Health & Wellbeing | Responsible Consumption & Production | Climate Action | Life Below Water
Secondary Sustainable Development Goals
Help promote, support and develop surfing for women in India & Sri Lanka where there are cultural barriers around girls and women playing in the ocean.
Decent Work & Economic Growth
It’s what we do. Continue to promote sustainable tourism which supports local communities and economies.
Follow the diversity, equity and inclusion model and use our Soul & Surf voice and platform to support social justice, inclusivity and diversity within our communities.