Join us at our beautiful cliff-top, sea-gazing hotel in Varkala, Kerala where our truly brilliant team will make you as welcome and comfortable as possible. Come alone, with friends or make it a romantic getaway as a couple. We welcome guests from all over the world to surf, practice yoga, mediate, eat well and, just, hang out with us here in India.
We’re not an overly serious and ‘worthy’ retreat or a strict-regimed activity holiday, or a grotty bunk-bed surf-camp. You’ll be joining us and sampling the palm fringed Keralan coastal life where we like to live healthily whilst still having some fun, and hope you do too. Feel free to do as little or as much as you want to when you stay with us – Some people have one surf a day and spend the rest of the day hanging out, having coffees, chats and putting the world to rights, some just come for the yoga, meditation and massage, some surf as much as they possibly can and some just come to do nothing, hang out, eat cake, drink coolers, sunbathe and enjoy the sociable Soul & Surf vibe.
Hang out in our social spots or find a quiet corner, a hammock and a good book or, of course, if you just want to sleep, eat, lounge and relax we’ve got the perfect cliff-top location to do that. Whatever makes you happy.
A day in the life
|A Typical Day at Soul & Surf India|
|6.30 am||Wake up as the sun rises. Stretch your weary limbs, eat a little fruit.|
|6.45am||Leave for your surf lesson or surf guide or have a morning yoga class if you prefer|
|10.30am||Eat a late, long, delicious, healthy breakfast in the gardens and put the world to rights.|
|11.00am||Time for you to go out and catch another surf, eat an amazing Thali in a local restaurant, walk down to Varkala’s buzzing beach, visit our own secluded beach, have a massage or an Ayurvedic treatment in our local spa or just hang out in our luscious gardens dozing, grazing from the cafe, listening to music.|
|4.30pm||Sunset Yoga and Pranyama sessions|
|7.00pm||Lounge and eat in our comfy gardens from our wood-fired pizza oven or one of our infamous barbecue nights and watch the moon shimmer on the Arabian Sea, or go to the beach, build a bonfire, bake potatoes, drink cold beers, listen to the roar of the ocean and be amazed by the incredible number of stars there are in the sky… Is that an upside-down plough? Or go to Varkala cliff for a seafood extravaganza, or into town for a super cheap Masala Dosa or…|
|10.00pm||We’re knackered and want to go to bed but there are a couple of bars on Varkala Cliff open until 1am if you’ve still got the energy…. Zzzzzz|
Note: Everything’s flexible. If the surf’s pumping and the wind stays away you can surf some more. If you’d rather do nothing and sunbathe all day that’s entirely up to you, whatever makes you happy.
Bringing The Kids?
We very much welcome families coming to stay with us and do what we can to make it affordable and workable with the kids. But we have to be realistic too, we’ve got a small number of rooms so we need to get income from them when they’re being used. So if we can add extra beds or a cot to your room we can keep things very reasonable, if the kids need their own room we have to charge the normal rate. We have a handful of rooms which are perfect for families who would like to add an extra single bed or a cot. Contact us here <click to show address> before you book to enquire.
We’re not allowed to recommend or offer baby-sitting or childcare as a service because our UK insurers advise us not to as the local lady we know isn’t qualified, registered or insured. But we can introduce you to some local ladies that have looked after Ed & Sofie’s baby and our friends kids and if you feel comfortable you can arrange child-care, whilst you surf or practice yoga, directly with them at very reasonable rates.
We love the kids to join in with whatever we can reasonably allow them to do. Surfing is an inherently dangerous activity so we have to have some limitations, check them out on our surf lessons page. Talk to the yoga teacher when you arrive if you’d like your kids to try yoga. It has the be at the yoga teachers discretion and not to the detriment of our other yogis experience.
- ISA Surf Lesson 1h 30m incl. soft board — INR 2,500 (roughly £27)
- Surf Board rental 3hrs — INR 900 (roughly £10) / All Day — INR 1,700 (roughly £19)
- Yoga Class, 1h 15m — INR 550 (roughly £6.5)
- One-to-One 1hr Yoga Session — INR 4,000 (roughly £46)
- Pranayama or Meditation Class — INR 450 (roughly £5.5)
- Massage, Therapies & Treatments — from INR 3,500 – 4,300 (roughly £40 – £50)
- BBQ Nights / Movie Nights / Special events — tba on arrival
- Soul Food Cafe — drinks / snacks / meals available for lunch and dinner.
- Trivandrum Airport pick-up; we will arrange, you pay the driver — INR 1,500 (roughly £17)
* we accept INR, Visa or Mastercard.
Pre-Paid Packages Available
We offer some significant discounts if you pre-book any extra activity packages to go with your accomodation:
- Surf Lessons: Introduction – three beginner 1.5hr lessons with an ISA instructor — £75**
- Surf Lessons: Week – six beginner 1.5hr lessons with an ISA instructor —£143**
- Board Hire: Week – Board of your choice for the whole week – seven days, 24hrs a day — £68
- Yoga Week Six yoga sessions (morning or evening) at Soul & Surf — £32.50
- Surf Lessons & Yoga Week – six beginner 1.5hr lessons with an ISA instructor plus six evening Yoga sessions — £170**
- Soul Week: Six yoga sessions, four Pranayama or Meditation classes, One 1hr 15m treatment, One One-to-One 1hr Yoga Session — £115
* Pay us when you make your booking, or any time before you arrive via Paypal, Credit Card or bank transfer.
** Surf lessons include board hire for the duration of the lesson.